There’s been some ink spilled lately denigrating so called "angry liberals,"™ that is, people who have allegedly lost their right to be taken seriously because they are "angry." And they are "liberal."
Well, I hereby declare myself a charter member in the ALC (Angry Liberal Club).
Sure, at first I felt guilty -- what right do I have as a patriotic American to be angry? Or liberal? Oh, I tried to repress the ‘angry thing,’ I tried -- if I was asked, I claimed I was a "peeved moderate." Or a "mildly upset centrist." But after much work through "BIT" (Blog Immersion Therapy), I stopped feeling the shame. I'm coming out of the closet to announce I am an Angry Liberal Guy. And I am pissed. You might be saying “Man, what are you so angry about, Angry Liberal Guy?
I've compiled a short (and by no means complete) list just so I could see it all in one place: I'm angry about the shredding of the Constitution ¦ illegal wiretaps¦falsified intelligence ¦ secret prisons ¦ use of torture as an accepted means of interrogation ¦ Terry Schiavo ¦the war on science¦denial of Global Warming¦the fascistic secrecy of our elected officials ¦ presidential signings that declare the President above the law ¦ the breakdown of the wall between church and state¦the outing of a clandestine CIA agent for purely partisan political gain ¦ the corrupting influence of K Street ¦ the total sell-out of the legislative process to corporate interests ¦ appointments of unqualified cronies at every level of government ¦ Harriet Miers ¦ Brownie ¦ Abu Ghraib ¦ Scooter ¦the complete mismanagement of the war in Iraq ¦ the lies about the complete mismanagement of the war in Iraq ¦ the grotesque budget deficits ¦ the pathetic response to Katrina ¦ a civil rights division dedicated to undermining civil rights ¦ an environmental protection agency that refuses to protect the environment ¦ (Take a breath, Angry Liberal Guy.) And I'm angry about a smug, simple-minded, incompetent, unqualified President, and a press that denies the obvious fact that we have a smug, simple-minded, incompetent unqualified President.
If these things don't make you angry, I have to ask -- what the hell is the matter with you? And what would it take to make you angry?
C.B. Shapiro
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
C.B. Shapiro's Angry Liberal
I pulled this from this BoingBoing post:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment